Deeply rooted in friendship, purpose, and peace of mind for over 40 years
In 1978, a new senior living community opened on the northeast side of Columbus, Ohio. Covering 23 acres in a residential neighborhood, Friendship Village Columbus lies adjacent to Westerville, New Albany, and Worthington.
You have lots of choices here – from the accommodations you live in to the meals you eat right down to what you choose to do each day. FVC offers independent living apartments, assisted living apartments and suites, memory support, short-term rehabilitation, skilled nursing, and long-term care under one roof, with each care neighborhood easily accessible through a single connective corridor known as Main Street. In addition to serving as the primary avenue throughout our community, Main Street also features access to a bank, coffee and soda shop, library, computer center, salon, general store, fitness center, art studio, woodworking shop, and billiard room. Residents enjoy a carefree lifestyle in a compassionate community that lives up to its name.
About us at a glance
Make more time for what matters most
Friendship Village Columbus makes it easy to actively pursue what you enjoy. Genuinely friendly neighbors and staff create a culture where residents can enjoy a lifestyle of active growth and discovery, with activities and programs specifically designed to fulfill life-long dreams. Our close ties with the Westerville Community Center gives residents access to entertainment and amenities like an indoor swimming pool. Those who want to become more involved in our community can join our Residents’ Association, where you’ll have a say in what community life is like at FVC, or for those who wish to become more involved in the community-at-large, we offer learning opportunities at Otterbein University.
Whatever your passion is, you’ll have more time to pursue what matters most to you. We offer a wide variety of resident committees on campus including:
- Barbershoppers, our resident quartet
- Chimes, our wind instrument ensemble
- FVC Singers, our resident choir
- Book club
- Walking club
- Gardening club
- And many more!
An urban oasis right on campus
Green space is easily accessible to all who live at Friendship Village Columbus. Friendship Woods fulfills a dream shared by many residents who wished to bring an up-close experience with nature to Friendship Village Columbus. Paved walkways, scenic views, wildlife feeding areas, and plenty of places to rest offer something for everyone who loves the great outdoors.
The Friendship Village Columbus campus includes:
- 23 beautiful acres
- A natural refuge full of trees and native plants
- 12 benches for bird watching
- 2+ miles of outdoor walking paths
- 2 natural walking trails
- A gazebo and a bridge
All are welcome here in our open and affirming community
Friendship Village Columbus takes pride in being a non-discriminating senior living retirement community. All are welcome in our community of friends, even pets! We take particular care to make the rights of marginalized older adults a priority and provide a safe place for all people to live their life to the fullest.
LGBT adults and aging
Inclusivity and equality are integral to the Village life. That’s why Friendship Village Columbus earned Gold certification in SAGECare, a cultural training program for organizations that serve older adults. SAGE is the country’s oldest and largest organization dedicated to improving the lives of lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (LGBT) older adults.
According to SAGECare, LGBT older adults are:
- Twice as likely to be single and live alone
- Four times less likely to have children
- More likely to face poverty and homelessness
- More likely to experience poor health
- Far more likely to have faced discrimination and social stigma
The SAGECare Gold certification means that at least 60 percent of Friendship Village Columbus staff have completed specific LGBT aging training to ensure we improve care and meet the needs of LGBT older adults.
FVC through the years
Friendship Village Columbus has been a respected nonprofit, senior living, and healthcare provider for over 40 years. A lot has happened since we were founded in 1978. Take a look back at some highlights from the four decades that have followed:
- The first gardeners and landscape designers planted trees, shrubs, and flowers
- The Residents’ Association was formed so residents could work side-by-side with the administration to meet the needs and concerns of the Village
- Resident committees were first established
- Residents managed a travel committee and planned regular trips to parks, symphonies, plays, and art museums
- Residents published the first issue of The Village Highlights, a newsletter that has gradually grown to include original stories and memories
- The groundbreaking for Ridgewood Assisted Living took place
- Resident leaders became very involved in community decisions, including the design and development of Friendship Woods
- The food was outstanding and described “like being on a cruise ship”
- Multimillion-dollar renovations were made to our community, including our first floor assisted living wing, exterior painting, and an interior refresh
- The elegant monthly first-Sunday brunch began pampering residents and their guests with good service, special food choices, and a tempting dessert table
- Pets were welcomed to our community
All-inclusive senior living
is within your reach
Experience the freedom of carefree living and the peace of mind that comes with all levels of care within one familiar setting. You will find what you need here as your needs change – while expanding your independence. Discover what the Village life is like when you come to Friendship Village Columbus for a visit!
Call (614) 215-9350 to schedule a tour of our community.